Pages

03 October 2011

How to Roast Beets & Like It

Do you like your beets yet? No? Well, I bet you are thinking of pickled beets. I don't really like those either. But roasted beets. Now, that's another story. Sweet, earthy, and jazzes up a salad like nothing else can. (Except maybe goat cheese. And almonds. And balsamic dressing.) And as an added bonus, if you eat enough, they'll turn your pee pink. That's always a kid-pleaser.

So grab some beets, chop the the ends off and give the stumps and leafy greens to your rabbits. Coat your beets in some olive oil, wrap individually in foil, and bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Done.

After they sit to cool for a few minutes, unwrap, slide the peels off, and slice. Toss on salad, sandwiches, lentils, you name it.

I'm telling you. They're good.

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm....your picture looks so appealing that it almost makes me want to try some. But not quite!! I just do not have a taste for beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pee pink? Seriously?! My boys will be all over that.

    You know, I don't remember ever, *ever* eating a beet, pickled or otherwise. You're sorta kinda, maybe convincing me I should try one. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted beets are one of my fav foods!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I've ever tried a beet in my life - probably because they look weird. Your roasting method makes them look a little less scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing quite like the wonderful taste of roasted beets. Have you tried the baby golds?...delicious plus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beets. Any old way. Yum! And the tops are good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we love beets! I should point out the pink pee to my kids (they usually talk about asparagus pee OK MOVING ON).

    I like to dice raw beets, toss with a little oil and salt (and maybe rosemary), and roast. Fab in a salad, as you noted, or also with some feta.

    ReplyDelete