Pages

15 September 2011

To Be Rooted and Built Up

 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 

rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. 
Colossians 2:6-7

Ever know that God is calling you to something, but are waiting for his timing? After being involved with a women's ministry for a number of years, I've decided it's now my turn to serve at a deeper level. I'm excited, yet a tad intimidated by the commitment and responsibility.

The women I will be serving with are amazing, rooted women of faith. They are taking an active role in shepherding me and encouraging me so that I might do the same for others. One of the ladies said to me today, "You don't need to be the source, you need to go to the Source." Now that puts everything into perspective, doesn't it?

Like so many things God asks of us ... we have to hold onto Him to do any kind of a decent job. Because if we are resting upon our own strength, perched upon our own resources, we are at risk of washing away when the tide comes in. And the tide ... the waves ... they always come.

But in Christ, when we are rooted in Him and strengthened in our faith with a teachable spirit, the overflow is not overwhelming, but instead, thankfulness.

Now doesn't an abundance of thankfulness sound nice?

1 comment:

  1. Such timely words for me to read this week. You know the part about the waves coming... well I've felt them this week. By God's grace alone, I've also felt His complete peace. I can say with full confidence that to be overcome with thankfulness (even in difficult situations) is far better than being overwhelmed by circumstances.

    I'm thankful for how the waves prove to me how important it is for my roots to grow deep... so that I'll be like a tree planted by streams of water.

    How exciting to serve... to be stretched and to grow.

    ReplyDelete