Pages

12 July 2011

Good Food & No Apologies

One of the things I love best about summer is that salads can pass for main courses at dinner! Last night we had a heaping bowl of Greek Salad, corn-on-the-cob, and a steamy loaf of crusty bread. When easy and tasty come together, I am a very happy lady.

As a side note, you may be asking how I got my children to love Greek Salad. Well, I didn't. They don't actually love it, but too bad. It's good food and good for them. I figure they can get over it, eat it, and develop a willingness for new foods ... or ... they can take one "thank-you bite" and be a little hungry for the rest of the evening. Choice is up to them and I'm not going to sweat it. But complaining? That is a sure-fire ticket to an early bedtime. Bam! Mean-Mom on the prowl.

• Because-It's-Good-Greek-Salad •
Combine chopped red, green, yellow bell peppers, cucumber, kalamata olives, thinly sliced red onion, chopped oregano (or whatever fresh herb you've on hand), and feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a bit of honey. Salt and pepper to taste.

4 comments:

  1. It's nice to see that you make your kids try and sometimes eat things that they don't love. Nothing bugs me more then moms who fix two meals every night because they won't fight the food battle with their kids. Pizza and mac and cheese every night? Really?

    Good idea on the honey, by the way. I've made a similar salad, but always found it a little bitter. Next time I'll have to throw in some honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had salad for dinner last night, too... much to my children's chagrin!

    I love to see how different people "do" Greek because the flavors and seasoning are so versatile. Easy and delicious, that gives it five stars in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, we do food the same way here. If my kids are hungry, they will eat. We try to discuss food as little as possible and act like it's normal for kids to like vegetables.

    ReplyDelete