Pages

14 June 2011

Operation Healthy Snack



It seems as though everyone I talk to lately is simply fed up with their bad-eating habits. I can fully relate. While I have a good measure of happy-hippie-granola-girl in me (I grew up in a college town in the Pacific NW, 'nuff said.), I pretty much love anything made with butter. I can contentedly eat a dinner of grilled asparagus and eggplant with a side of quinoa ... and then wolf down half a pie on command. I'm a bit beastly like that.

So. I think I am going to start doing some "healthy snack" segments. No, I'm not going to give up my pie (have mercy!), but healthy snacks can go a long way in encouraging good eating habits through out the day. 'Cause a girl 'gotta eat, right?

On today's docket is Kale Chips. Have you heard the buzz about Kale Chips? Super tasty, an entire bunch costs about a $1.50, and all you do is wash, dry, oil, and salt. Good deal, right?


• Kale Chips •

Strip the kale leaves off the woody stem and rip into eat-able pieces. Rinse and dry well (salad spinner works great!). Place in large bowl and add 1 T. olive oil and 1/2 - 1 t. salt. Now dive in and massage those kale leaves 'til they are all shiny and coated. Place on two parchment lined baking sheets (you want them spread out so they crisp and don't steam). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

As Jane says, "Mmm, mmm. They're so good I's can't stops eating them!" Try 'em and tell me what you think!

14 comments:

  1. I was thinking just yesterday, "I need to learn how to make kale chips." You read my mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I's can't stop " = Love. She is so cute.

    Ok, and I don't know- Kale chips?? Kale? I have never bought kale, although I remember fondly my months of blanching it for prep at The Keg, where I was a server- it sat on the side of steak dishes as a (I thought inedible) garnish!!!

    What exactly DO they taste like? Your photos and post make me want to make them regardless, I think the kids would have fun. Do you think mine would eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This summer we are buying a new fruit or veggie every time we go to the store. (Kids idea). I tried star fruit for the first time this week and we will be adding kale to the list next week.

    This sounds like a great way to introduce it to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sweet girl is in total agreement! She loves, loves, loves kale chips. She begged me to buy kale last week at the farmers market so that we could make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. D-
    I really do think your kids would like them. They have the mouth-feel of a potato chip. Very crunchy and the salt keeps it from tasting too "vegetably."

    And for a buck fifty! Ya' gotta' try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister and I were just talking about kale chips the other day and now ta da you share how to make them. Perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit of a granola girl myself. Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I just read this post last night before Dan and I cozied in to watch the final installment of Wives & Daughters. I so wanted a snack and had a bunch of Kale from the farmers market in the fridge, so I hopped up and made them right away. SO GOOD!! I only made half the bunch, which is a good thing, because there wasn't any left for the kids to try. I'll make them this afternoon for them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I've never heard of Kale chips. They do look good though, I just might try them. Anything to get my kids to eat veggies is appreciated (and hubby) :0

    There isn't any hiding what they are like mashed cauliflower potatoes though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm totally going to have to try these! love anything green and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure that I would like the kale chips ... but Jane sure is selling it! I just may be convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. brilliant. was just discussing snacks with my husband because I was not pleased with his asking the kids what they wanted and of course they want candy. duh.

    I've heard these are good - I'll try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. got three bunches of kale at market today for $3!! made the chips for a snack - YUM. super yum! My new favorite way to eat greens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Almost a year late and I'm finally trying kale chips ~ it has been on my mind to do so for some time! And now I just can't stop making them ~ I've been eating them every day. I enjoy your blog and your recent posts about the family trip you're taking to Europe; what an amazing adventure for you!

    ReplyDelete