Pages

10 March 2011

A Fresh Start


I feel like today is a day of new beginnings. A fresh baby to visit and fawn over (oh, sweet deliciousness!) and the start of the Lenten season.

Yesterday we celebrated a simple Shrove Tuesday with our traditional pancake dinner and thought about what kind of "yeast" (as scripture often uses as a metaphor to sin) we have in our lives that we might "sweep out" just as the Israelites did, quite literally, during their preparation for Passover. Choosing something to fast from during Lent provides a similar opportunity that encourages me to prepare for Easter, the day of the resurrection of our Passover lamb, Christ Jesus.

Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast--as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. I Corinthians 5:7

I have decided to go on a spending fast for the next 40 days. I feel like God has been calling me to this for a while and this is a good opportunity to follow through. While I don't think I'm necessarily a spend-thrift, I can definitely work on reducing and deferring. My prayer is that I'll use that previously directed time, money, thought, and energy towards purposely seeking Him and being a good steward of all the myriad blessings He's placed in my life.

Speaking of blessings ... how much greater can there be than a new babe. New life, a fresh start full of hope. Exactly what He offers each one of us.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful little one.

    May you find peace and contentment in His presence during this season (and always).

    ReplyDelete