Pages

05 September 2009

Stocking Up with Muffins

Now that it is September, all of the fall flavors have seemed quite enticing. Following Dawnelle's advice, I've been making school-time muffins to freeze for quick breakfasts or a snack to take. This past week we made pumpkin and sour-cream bran, and this morning: Oatmeal Applesauce. The applesauce muffins turned out very moist, not too sweet, and fairly healthy. Paired with some fruit and a glass of milk, it's a pretty good way to start a day!

Here is a double-batch recipe. Enough for a fresh out-of-the-oven breakfast and plenty leftover to freeze:

Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins
Combine in mixer:
2 c. oats
2 c. applesauce (unsweetened)
2 eggs, beaten
.25 c. canola oil

Add, mixing after each:
2 T baking powder
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon (or use less and toss in some nutmeg)
.25 t. salt (or just a pinch, depending on taste)
.5 c. milk or juice
1.5 c. whole wheat flour
.25 -.5 c. sugar or agave (optional)
.5 - 1 c. cranberries, raisins, or chopped dates (optional)

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Makes 2 trays (24) of muffins.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a new muffin recipe. I'm also a sucker for new school morning breakfast ideas. Can't wait to try these; I already have all the ingredients on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, now I have a new one to try tomorrow! :)
    and thank you for the credit, but seriously, you are way more organized than myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a picky breakfast eater. She doesn't have the desire to eat early and I often feel like I am forcing her to get something down. She is tired of rice cakes with peanut butter (her choice over yogurt, cereal or eggs). I can't wait to give these a try. Thank you for the visual treat as well, great photo.

    ReplyDelete