Pages

25 March 2009

A Friendly Morning

Yesterday, we had friends stop by for the morning. They brought yummy treats of their own and I had baked up a double batch of "cheater" scones. (Cheater, because they aren't real scones but are so easy and tasty ... who cares!!)

While the kiddos played, we amused ourselves with the treats, a pot of coffee, and discussions of hand crafts. She has become tad obsessed with her embroidery lately, and I don't blame her! She does a magnificent job. And I'm not just saying that because she gave me one of her birdie potato-sack towels (Yipee!).

It's mornings like this that I think being a stay-at-home mom is a pretty good gig.

Fluffy Cheater Scones

Combine:
2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
.5 t. baking soda
.25 t. salt

Cut in:
3 T butter

Add:
1 c. yogurt (plain or vanilla--I've used sour cream in a pinch)
.25 c. milk or orange juice
zest of 1 orange

Stir very little and spread/pat into a 9" circle on buttered cookie sheet. Sprinkle with white or brown sugar, if desired. Bake at 400 degrees for 16-19 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into wedges.

*This recipe doubles easily!

4 comments:

  1. Scones always *seem* like they should be easy to make but mine usually turn out crumbling and/or tough. I'll have to try your version... in this case I am not above cheating!

    I adore your friendly little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones and these seem easy enough! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, those sound great, and I love the picture. I love the little bird (of course!), too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a blog award waiting for you! Head on over to my blog for directions. :)

    xoxo KB

    ReplyDelete