Pages

19 January 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I was getting tired of regular detergent. Costly, odd smelling, and probably full of chemicals that I don't know anything about. Thanks to my friend, the Internet, I've found a replacement that I adore. Now who would have thought laundry soap could be pretty?


1 bar Fels Naptha soap (grated or in food processor)
1 c. borax
1 c. washing soda
.5 - 1 c. oxi clean

Let washer fill up with a little warm water and add 1-2 T. detergent. Feel free to use more if a large or heavily soiled load. Won't suds, don't be alarmed!

*For easy fabric softener, find a pretty bottle, fill with mostly white vinegar and some water. Just to be nice, add a few drops of rosemary essential oil. Shake well and add vinegar to the rinse cycle. My machine has a little fabric softener dispenser that I just fill up and the machine releases it during the final rinse. Don't worry, it won't make your clothes smell like Easter eggs!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds nice! Is washing soda the same as baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I just found your Jan 09 post that explained washing soda. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete